Carnegie Corporation of New York Records. Series VII. Andrew Carnegie. VII.A. CCNY Carnegie Files. Box no. 1
In 1895 Louise Carnegie bought the "Birthplace Cottage" as a surprise 60th birthday present for Andrew. After his death, Mrs. Carnegie proposed and funded the erection of a Memorial Treasure House adjoining the Birthplace. Work began in 1925 on the design by architect James Shearer. The linked buildings of the Cottage and Memorial Hall were formally opened on June 28, 1928.