Crawford Shops Building

Crawford Shops Building

 

 

Name:
New York Association for Improving the Condition of the Poor; Community Service Society of New York
Title:
Crawford Shops Building
Abstract:
Description: (Two 5x7 prints) #4236 Unknown Photographer From Bagdad on the Subway; A Periodical of Association [AICP] News, No. 8, November 1919, p. 6. Under heading "A.I.C.P. Happenings": "Since our last issue the Old Men's Toy Shop and the Women's Work Rooms have been combined, and are now under one roof in the building formerly operated by St. George's Church as a trade school. They are now known as the Crawford Shops. [Address: 505 East 16 St.] The building [built by J. P. Morgan for St. George's church] has been bought and presented to the Association for the purpose. Between eighty and a hundred old people, who otherwise would be unable to work effectively because of age or physical handicap, are enabled to earn at least a little toward their support and at the same time to retain the self-respect that goes with power to earn, however large or small. The Crawford Shops also have a retail store at 28 West 51st Street." 505 East 16 Street was leveled along with every other structure between l4th and 23rd streets from First Avenue to the F.D.R. Drive when the Metropolitan Insurance Company built Stuyvesant Town and Cooper Village in the 1940's. Image verso: The Crawford Shops 505 East 16th Street NYC Built by the late J. Pierpont Morgan for St. George's Church and now as a trade school. See: Excerpt from report to board of managers AICP April 1936, in archive's historical file, Crawford Shops.
Collection Name:
Community Service Society Records
Subjects:
Workshops; Streets; Older people--Employment; Facades; Buildings; Architecture--Details; New York (N.Y.); Women's Work Interiors (New York, N.Y.); Old Men's Toy Shop (New York, N.Y.); Crawford Work Shops (New York, N.Y.)
Format:
photographs
Date:
1919
Note (Non date):
Item no. 0531Photograph no. 4236Photographer unknown.
Library Location:
Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University
Browse Location’s Digital Content
Digital Project:
Community Service Society Photographs