#5089 Unknown photographer Corner of Catherine and Cherry Streets (see sign on lamp-post). #5089 thru #5092 were taken in same place with same children (note little boy in bathing cap and one with wide light stripe around his middle). The buildings on this block, as well as those on the next block west, were "taken down" when Knickerbocker Village was built "by a limited-dividend corporation with a ssistance from" the Federal Government's Reconstruction Finance Corporation." Knickerbocker Village was completed in 1934 and its 1,600 apartments rented for an average of $12.50 a room. The average rental elsewhere in the neighborhood was $5.00. At the turn of the century, this was the much publicized "lung block." See: CHARITIES, Sept. 5, 1903, pp. 193-199, for article by Ernest Poole. See also: A Handbook on the Prevention of Tuberculosis, Being the First Annual Report of the Committee on the Prevention of Tuberculosis of the Charity Organization of the City of New York, 1903.