#323 Byron Collection Museum of the City of New York Looking west on Hester Street from Norfolk Street (about 1900). The El in the background is the Second Avenue El which ran along Allen Street from Canal to East Houston. The large building to the right of the El is P.S. 42, still standing (1970) between Orchard and Ludlow Streets, but the cornice has been removed. Also still standing is the build ing on the left with the awning, corner of Hester and Essex Streets. At the time this picture was taken, Seward Park (Essex to Clinton, Hester to East Broadway) was in the process of being laid out (see small section of wooden fence at left foreground, behind the man wearing the derby). Seward Park was opened in 1902. The buildings in the right foreground are all gone and the site (Hester to Norfolk) is part of Seward Park Playground (opened 1941).