Document, 1812 December 15

Title:
Document, 1812 December 15
Library Location:
Boston Public Library, Rare Books Department
(Non-Columbia Location)
Name:
Jay, John, 1745-1829; Spafford, Horatio Gates, 1778-1832
Format:
correspondence
Digital Project:
Papers of John Jay
Date:
1812 December 15
Note:
The entire content of the original has been digitized.
Physical Description:
4
Subjects:
United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783; Jay, John, 1745-1829
Summary:
The area was originally under the jurisdiction of Connecticut and was called "the hop ground" from the abundance of wild hops growing there. In 1682 the people were granted the privilege of a plantation, and the town was given the name of Bedford. In 1697 a patent was taken out and the boundaries were described; since 1700 the town has been under jurisdiction of New York with the settlement of a state boundary dispute. Bedford is elevated and well supplied with water. The soil is fertile, but stony and hard to till. Many agricultural products are marketed: cattle, sheep, horses, rye, buckwheat, oats, butter, poultry, pork, etc. Several circumstances make the town favorable to manufacturers but fuel is not plentiful. The county courts are held at Bedford and White Plains. In the village itself there are a post office, academy, and large Presbyterian meeting house. Many public roads and bridges have been built. Population is 2347, mostly freeholders. The people were firm patriots during the war, and since then have remained faithful to the policies of President Washington.
Identifier:
columbia.jay.02706

Document, 1812 December 15