This item is accessible in the reading room of the Gabe M. Wiener Music & Arts Library. Please make arrangements in advance of your visit. Contact email@example.com.
Online access to this material is restricted to the Columbia University community and is made available as a temporary emergency measure during the COVID-19 health crisis. Use of this material may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the materials is solely responsible for assessing whether the material is copyright protected, whether their intended uses are fair or whether permission is required for their uses from the copyright owner. For more information about copyright, fair use and permissions, refer to Columbia University Library’s Copyright Advisory Services at https://copyright.columbia.edu.
Columbia University affiliates may log on for access to this content here.
- Berezowsky, Nicolai, 1900-1953, McKinley, Andrew, Moll, Mariquita, 1923-2000, Leonards, Francis, Watson, Chester, Anderson, Adolph, Ditson Fund Recordings Archive, Juilliard Chorus, Juilliard Orchestra
- Collection Name:
- Ditson Fund Recordings Archive.
- Cantatas, Secular; Live sound recordings; Gilgamesh
- music; sound recordings
- Musical settings
- May 17, 1947
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Note (Funding):
- Grammy Foundation Archiving & Preservation Grant
- Cantata for narrator, solo voices, mixed chorus and orchestra.Title from CD-ROM container-insert as transcribed from the original item.Text freely adapted by Robert Shaw and Alice Berezowsky from the rendering by William Ellery Leonard of the Babylonian epic"--T.p. of published vocal score (Weaner-Levant, c1947)Consists of 11 files: 88, 88, 70, 76, 85, 90, 81, 79, 93 80, 92 mb.Originally recorded under the auspices of The Alice M. Ditson Fund of Columbia University.Forms part of: Ditson Fund Recordings Archive.Digitization the original sound recording (6 sound discs : analog, mono. ; 12 in.)File numbers: DIT.008.01a-b; DIT.008.02a-b; DIT.008.03a-b; DIT.008.04a-b; DIT.008.05a-b; DIT.008.06a.Related CD identification no.: 617521127185 (CD-ROM 1), 617521127187 (CD-ROM 2), 617521127188 (CD-ROM 3), 617521127189 (CD-ROM 4), 617521127190 (CD-ROM 5); 617521127193 (CD-ROM 6).Numbers on original items: SB452 G36 1-2; SB452 G36 3-4; SB452 G36 5-6; SB452 G36 7-8; SB452 G36 9-10; SB452 G36 11; additional no.: serial no. 134.Recorded in live performance: May 17, 1947, McMillin Theatre, Columbia University. First performance of the work; performed as part of the 3rd Annual Festival of Contemporary American Music presented by the Alice M. Ditson Fund of Columbia University
- Note (Performers):
- Andrew McKinley, Gilgamesh ; Mariquita Moll, Ishtar ; Francis Leonards, Siduri ; Chester Watson, Forefather ; Adolph Anderson, narrator ; Juilliard School Chorus and Orchestra.
- File 1. No. 1-No. 3 (DIT.008.01a) ; No. 4-No. 6 (beginning) (DIT.008.01b) -- File 2. No. 6 (conclusion)-No. 7 (DIT.008.02a) ; No. 7A-No. 8 (beginning) (DIT.008.02b) -- File 3. No. 8 (conclusion)-No. 10 (beginning) (DIT.008.03a) ; No. 10 (conclusion)-No. 12 (beginning) (DIT.008.03b) -- File 4. No. 12 (beginning)-No. 13A (DIT.008.04a) ; No. 14-No.15 (beginning) (DIT.008.04b) -- File 5. No. 15 (conclusion)-No. 16 (beginning) (DIT.008.05a) ; No. 16 (conclusion)-No. 17 (beginning) (DIT.008.05b) -- File 6. No. 17 (conclusion) ; Broadcast announcements by Herbert Newman for the Municipal Broadcast System
- Library Location:
- Gabe M. Wiener Music & Arts Library, Columbia University
Browse Location’s Digital Content
- Catalog Record:
- Digital Project:
- Time Based Media
- Persistent URL: